Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Urine for the Long Haul: Potty Training Day 2

The fact that Gina can't drink (and I mean drink something worth while) is making this potty training thing a lot more challenging then needs be.  I'm sure if she could just curl up with a glass of wine at the end of the day then at least she'd have that to look forward to through out all the chaos of double pee trails conversing the halls of our home.  Day 2 of potty training turned out to be even more challenging than Day 1.  Here's a prime example that I got to experience first hand: I got home at 4:30 and took over so Gina could go teach.  We sat on the potties for over an hour with no results.  I tried everything I could think of.  We tried to stand up and wiggle our pee-pee out.  We went for a bottomless march around the house to see if that could do the trick.  We tried TV, no TV, books, games. ... we even spent time just sitting and staring at each other, after which I got the strange suspicion they were contemplating my demise.  Finally I figured nothing was coming so let's at least get up and play a little before the dinner.  I told the girls we'd put on our underwear for 5 minutes. ... 5 minutes - I had a timer and everything - and then we'd come back and sit on the potties again.  1 minute.  60 seconds.  1/5th of the way through our 5 minute non potty break.  That's all it took.  Arianna starts yelling from one side of downstairs "Daddy kakka, kaaakkkaaaa!!!" so I rush over to her, scoop her up and turn to run her back to the potty.  Of course, the moment I have her in my arms I hear a desperate plea from the other side of the room "Me toooooo!!!!!"  I turn on a dime and scoop Genevieve up as well and turn back toward the potties, which seem miles away at this point.  We made about half the distance before they started.  By the time we got to the potties there were only a few drops left to put in the bowl.  The rest was on me, the floor and of course, them.  I take away two positives though, 1 being that this was my only experience for the day. ... Gina had this happen about 7 other times.  2, they both felt it coming and called me before it happened. ... just not soon enough before to avoid disaster.  Kind of like the weather man calling for hurricane conditions at the same moment you're looking out your window to watch the first clouds of the storm make landfall.  So as long as we keep moving in the right direction I think we're going to be ok.  Plus, after all the frustration that getting covered in urine can cause (unless you're some kind of sicko and that's your thing) there was one huuuuuggggee bright light in our tunnel of a day.  At bath time, right in the middle when everyone was well in the warm water of the tub, Arianna called out that she had to go.  I got her out, dried her and sat her on the big potty upstairs.  About 30 seconds later she was full stream, right in the toilet.  That was enough cause for celebration.  Just like in baseball, all the strike outs in the world can be erased by a well timed home run.  And that was a bottom of the 9th, bases loaded, down by 3 in the 7th game of the World Series home run.  So bring on Day 3. ... just let me refill the paper towel roll first.

No comments:

Post a Comment