Thursday, October 6, 2011

Rainy Day Crazies

I used to love rainy days.  The smell, the sound, wrapping up in a blanket and watching a good movie.  It was the perfect excuse to do nothing and the world seemed to respond by lazily rolling along.  I've now discovered that rainy days mean toddlers can't go outside. ... and toddlers couped up inside all day. ... they go a little nuts.  Scratch that. ... they go a lot of nuts.  Our first major rain storm arrived yesterday and by the time I got home, Gina was more then ready to head off to teach.  The girls were in this is constant state of motion. ... kind of like how you see electrons displayed in those old science class movies. ... except bigger. ... and with teeth.  I think a more appropriate description would be miniature WWE wrestlers coated in flubber.  I swear, for the next 4 hours they literally bounced off walls while tackling, biting and beating on one another.  And it wasn't just each other.  At one point, while trying to diaper her sister after bath, Genevieve jumped on by back, locked her arms around my throat and bit in to my shoulder.  As I screamed she giggled and bounded away to find more damageable goods.  I found myself, at multiple times, just sitting and staring slack jawed at them, unsure of what I was supposed to do.  I've never had this problem.  This is evidence that children are supposed to be outside animals.  They're not meant to sit on a couch quietly and watch tv all day.  They're meant to run, jump, roll, climb, spin, skip, flail and flop. ... anything that involves moving in an open area.  To cage them up and deny them that ability to exhaust energy turns them from cute little sweethearts to raging monsters. ... basically the entire premise of Gremlins.  Now I know. ... and I've got the scars to remind me should I forget.  Next rainy day I'm buying rain boots and slickers.  Weather be damned, those kids aren't staying in the house. ... or there won't be much of a house left.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so with you on this! My girls (who will be 2 next week...aggh!) are the same way. Problem is, I live in MD and it is starting to get cold. I already told my husband we are investing in some very warm snow suits because my girls MUST go o-u-t-s-i-d-e EVERY day or comeplete craziness breaks out in our house! Glad to know we aren't the only ones!

    ReplyDelete