Monday, March 12, 2012

You're The One That I Want (ooh, ooh, ooh honey)

It had to happen last night.  The night after the clocks sprung forward and stole an hour of precious sleep.  The night I was already not looking forward to.  That's when she had to have a melt down.  It's been going on a couple of nights, actually: Genevieve wakes up and refuses to go back to sleep.  We end up doing the same dance over and over and over until, an hour or more later, she finally passes back out.  But last night. ... well last night was just special.  It started around 11:30.  I heard her bedroom door slam and a few seconds later she came trotting around the corner into our room.  I jumped up to intercept her but she blew by me and jumped up on to the couch.  I got on me knees, eye level with her, and asked her if she was alright.  She just stared blankly at me.  "Do you have to go potty. ... did you have a bad dream?"  I pressed her.  Then her lip started to quiver and the word slipped through her lips on a whisper: "mommy."  Oh shit.  You see this type of "mommy" isn't a simple request.  It's an indicator that what ever is offered to her is not going to work tonight.  If she's got Daddy, she's going to want Mama.  If you take her potty she's going to want water.  If you offer a hug she's going to want her space.  It's a lose/lose situation.  And we lost.  Gina got up, and took her back, but 5 minutes later she was back in our room again.  This time the whisper was a full blown wail and Rosaline was now awake as a result.  2 more times this took place until I finally snatched her up (screaming "Mommy!") and put her in her bed with a warning that she better not get up again.  She cried hysterically for what felt an eternity.  When Mama didn't answer (cause she was now nursing Rosaline to get her back to sleep) it reluctantly turned into a "Daddy!"  Well, I'm already slighted so I'm not falling for that trick.  At some point she must have quieted because I woke up later to crash in our room.  I knew she was in there. ... I just wasn't sure where.  I jumped out of bed and went to the couch. ... nope.  The bathroom.  Nothing.  I walked back in to the room puzzled when I wondered "why the hell is there a giant pile of clothes on the nursing chair. ... and why does it have feet. ... two pairs of them!"  Under a blanket both girls tried their best to hide from me.  And I did my best to excude patience. ... which resulted in me telling Gina she had better deal with this cause I was not in the most pleasant mood.  Suffice to say 5:30 came very early this morning and even Starbucks can't seem to get me in gear.  Oh how I miss the bygone days of binkies. ... when you popped one of those in and the lights went back out.  Who's idea was it to throw all of those away?

No comments:

Post a Comment