Thursday, August 5, 2010

"Two Roads Diverged in a Yellow Wood..."

I don't know about you, but I often find myself going back in time to decisions I've made and wondering "what if". They're not always life changing choices, sometimes they're quite insignificant, but I wonder where I would be had I gone that way instead of this. What if I hadn't transferred twice in college. What if we'd waited to buy. What if I'd taken that job, refused another, tried for a long shot. What if I'd majored in something practical or taken a class that made more sense. What if I saved more and passed on those purchases. What if I said "hello". ... what if she hadn't. It amazes me how our lives hing on such choices, and the potential sway is 360 degrees in differences. But the thought always crosses my mind after such flights of fancy, if I'd made that choice I would not be here, I'd be there. And, in truth, all the choices in my life have led me to my wife and daughters. Every mistake has funnelled me in their direction. I may not have my movie star life. I may not have my dream house and my adoring public. I may not be the success I imagined. ... but the truth is, I am. There's not a step, a bump, a failure or an accomplishment that I would do any differently if given the choice because it would mean I'd have to give them up. I love these day dreams because they make me remember this. "Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."

No comments:

Post a Comment