Thursday, June 16, 2011

Take a s#!t Daddy

From the mouths of babes, they say.  The girls have gotten to the age where they love TV.  LOOOOVVVEEE tv.  They barely watch more than a show or two a day, but every time we come home "TT?  TT, Dada?"  "No, no TV baby."  "TT?!" They get to watch Sesame Street in the morning, usually, and at night they get to watch Blues Clues, sometimes Wonder Pets or Yo Gabba Gabba.  Last night after dinner I turned on some Wonder Pets and was trying to print out some essays to send off for school.  As I walked out of the living room I hear the sweetest little voice on the planet say "shit".  My first thought was "I'm gonna get in so much trouble for this," because I'm sure I was the source of the word.  I turn around to see Genevieve sitting on the couch, smiling up at me.  "What did you say?" I asked.  "Shit Dada".  I began to run through the speech in my head that this is not a word for little girls to repeat when she says it again, this time patting the couch cushion next to her.  "TT dada, shit."  I could feel the smile spread across my face.  Ear to ear.  She was inviting me to sit down and watch TV with her. ... she just added an unnecessary "h" into the equation.  Suddenly I had flashbacks to my niece at that age.  Her trouble was the word "frog" which sounded remarkably like the "F" word.  Being 23 I thought this hilarious and encouraged her to find frogs everywhere in her life.  I thought it especially funny when I discovered the word "bull" came out as "butt" which is when I started pushing her to say "bull frog" all the time.  Karma's a bitch.  Now I've got a little swear monkey of my own.  So we shat and watched a little TT together.  What a wonderful way to spend the evening.

2 comments:

  1. This is hilarious! It's so cool you're keeping all these precious things for them to read someday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha I love it! Karma is a bitch, especially as a parent. I'm sure you'll have many other embarassingly mispronounced words to talk about before long! My oldest used to sit in the sand box making sandcastles and then holler out for me to come look at her castle. But she couldn't say the "K" sound so it came out sounding like "MOMMY COME LOOK AT MY ASS HOLE!!!" And my middle child was obsessed with helicopters so we took him to a military aviation show where he saw a black hawk helicopter. He couldn't quite pronounce it right and kept running around screaming "I LOVE BLACK COCKS!!! I WANT TO RIDE THE BLACK COCK!!!". Good luck, it just keeps coming :)

    ReplyDelete