Thursday, May 31, 2012

Sound of Music

We're musical in our family.  We've never met a karaoke bar we didn't close down; we sing at the top of our lungs when we drive; and when we die we will go to a giant dueling piano bar in the sky.  It's only natural that our love of music was passed along through our genetic material to our offspring.  It is interesting, however, to see it manifest it's self so differently in the three.  Granted, Rosaline just found her voice so it's only natural that she "sings" in shrieks and squeals. ... but it's loud and she entertains the crap out of herself when she does it.  Genevieve is the meticulous one.  She has lately taken to wandering the house (or where ever you find yourself) singing the same few lines of a song over and over and over and over.  Right now it's The Little Mermaid.  "Look at this stuff, isn't it neat.  Look at this stuff, isn't it neat.  Look at this stuff, isn't it neat.  Look at this stuff, isnt' it neat."  I just want to yell at the top of my lungs "FOR THE LOVE OF GOD - WOULDN'T YOU SAY MY COLLECTION'S COMPLETE!"  But this is what's interesting. ... that's exactly what Gina does.  She gets a song stuck in her head, but only a small portion.  And then she ends up singing that small portion on loop for the next 12 days.  This has it's benefits, she learns the real words of the song and not the "Tony Danza in my head" versions of them.  Arianna, meanwhile, takes after me.  She sings what ever the hell she feels like.  Screw the words. ... screw the melody sometimes.  She will tell you she's going to sing the Belle (Beauty and the Beast) song and then proceed to belt out some song that repeats the word "flowers" a dozen times and bounces all over the note scale.  I, too, have been known to replace words I don't really know with words I feel make a good fit.  Green Day's probably my favorite band of all time and most of the early albums I just end up singing "na-na's" and "blah-blahs" when I play them, despite having heard them hundreds of times. When Gina catches me with a wrong lyric she never fails to point it out. All that really matters, though, is the singing.  Whether it's pitchy or the lyrics are off or what ever, singing is a sign of happiness.  Happiness is all I care about.  So sing away my dears.  Drown out the outside world and continue to fill our home with magic.  "Look at this stuff, isn't it neat.  Look at this stuff, isn't it neat.  Look at this stuff, isn't it neat.  Look at this stuff, isn't it neat.  Look at this stuff, isn't it neat."

No comments:

Post a Comment