Sunday, June 27, 2010

Baptism

Well, the big event has come and gone. The baptism was yesterday and to say it was beautiful would not do it justice. Those of you who were there we thank you for your support. Those who missed it were missed, but we know you were there in spirit and we thank you for that. The service it's self was very nice. First time parents we really didn't know what we were supposed to do, but the priest walked us through it and was very patient. If you didn't know we selected Gina's sisters as the Godmothers (Nouna's) and because she's not Greek Orthodox but a very important figure in the girls lives my youngest sister, Cassie, stood up there with us and assisted. The girls did great, Genevieve got a little fussy but nothing a binky and a stuffed giraffe couldn't fix. Arianna ate it up, smiling and twisting around to look at the attendants. Two highlights were when the priest (middle aged and balding) commented that the girls had his hair style, and when he went to give Genevieve communion and she voraciously consumed it, eliciting a "brava" from the priest. I had a little flashback when the priest handed me two large lighted candles like the ones from our wedding. I thought maybe I'd get some more matching scars from the melting wax, but fortunately that didn't happen this time. The party after was exactly as we had hoped. A gorgeous sunny day, everyone happy and smiling and the girls just perfect in disposition. I gave a little speech that got me chocked up quite good. It's amazing that as comfortable as I am speaking in public, either on stage or in debate, I lose myself when I talk about my family. I can't refer to my wife with out getting misty eyed and now, even acknowledging my children turns me to a weepy babe myself. I feel like the Stay Puff Marshmallow man in Ghostbusters. Large and intimidating, but at the end of the day I'm just made of gooey sugar and creme. Party lasted until almost 9pm when the final stragglers made their way out. Exhausting day, but truly one that we will remember for ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment