Sunday, February 14, 2010

Entourage

I've watched the HBO show "Entourage" once, a long time ago - but I got the general idea of the premise. A world famous actor goes about his life while those around him cling to his coattails and bask in the attention that he attracts. When you have multiples, you - as parents - seem to become the entourage of your children. Everywhere that you go the double stroller is like a giant marquee sign begging people to come and talk to you. I took the girls to Target to buy a Valentines Day card while Gina was teaching a class and it took me 30 minutes to get it done. ... only 10 of which was looking for cards and 5 was standing in line. The other 15 minutes were people (mostly women over 30) coming up to coo over the girls and tell me how brave I was (brave? I'm not brave. Crazy maybe, but not brave). When we go to the swap meet it seems like every person passing us by either mutters "twins" under their breath or says something to us directly. I had a women with a child about the girls' age pass us with her husband as I pushed the stroller yesterday. "Wow, now look at that Daddy" she said. "Your daddy can barely handle you, let alone two of you". I don't know if this made the husband feel very good about himself or his parenting skills. ... but it's almost as if people can't pass us and NOT say something to this effect. Vendors stop us, not to sell us wares, but to talk to us about the girls and get a closer look. Now I know twins are the bottom rung of multiples, so I can only imagine what Octomom goes through on her shopping trips. We are very proud, obviously, when such attention is heaped - and for a brief moment we allow ourselves the think it has something to do with us. But let's face it, we are the entourage. We are the "cling on's". We are the unfocused folks in the back of the pictures in OK!, Star and People magazine. And we are very much ok with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment