Monday, September 6, 2010

Well I would walk 500 miles, and I would walk 500 more

just to be the man who walks 1000 miles to fall down at your door - yada yata (yada yata), yada yata (yada yata) umdilum dilum dulim dulim dulim de lye. Ok, got that out of my system (will make sense later). Went to the Long Beach Greek Festival yesterday to see mama in action. Now the last time we went to a Greek festival that she was working at we didn't stay very long and mama got a little upset as a result. This time, since it is the church she grew up in and there were plenty of people she wanted to show the girls off to, I was determined to last as long as possible with the girls. They did very well, lots of people saying hello and wanting to see them. But nap time crept up on us and by 3:30 they were ready to crash. I didn't want to take them home yet because their aunts were dancing at 6 and we really wanted them to stay for that. So I figured I'd take them on a walk outside of the festival where it was quiet and maybe they could nap a bit. Problem is our girls don't really nap in their stroller. ... ever. So getting them to go to sleep was quiet a chore - especially with Genevieve sitting backwards facing me, just staring at me through sleepy, unblinking eyes for most of the trip. Looking back on a map I figured I walked just short of three miles to get barely a 30 minute nap in (not 30 minutes of walking, just 30 minutes of sleep). But it worked. We made it back and the girls held on until almost 7. They watched all the dancing, even did a little themselves, and were a huge hit at the old persons table. Although looking back on it I think there was so much ouzo at that table that they were seeing double and thought they were quadruplets an not just twins. Oh well. Then we left, got back home way past bed time and, despite our banshee wails through changing, nursing and teeth brushing, pretty much crashed as soon as their noggins hit the mattress. Another long day, but worth the trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment