Thursday, June 27, 2019

Right Dress, Wrong Kid

So last weekend 2 of the 4 girls had their semi-annual dance recital.  This time around was different then past events in that I was able to sign up for a Daddy/Daughter number with each of them.  We've been rehearsing for the last several weeks and Friday night I had my performance with Arianna and her group, followed on Saturday morning with Lorelei and the 4 and under group.


Both dances went very well and tugged at my heartstrings exactly as I knew they would, with only one slight hiccup taking place.


For Saturdays number with the little ones, all the dads lined up back stage a few numbers before we were scheduled to go on.  The volunteers then brought out each little girl (already dressed in her formal gown back stage) and paired them with the appropriate dad.  Time went by and each dad had been linked with their appropriate kid, except for me. I  was still childless.  Add to that concern, there was one child who appeared to be equally fatherless; and this was creating panic.


There seemed to be more concern over the missing dad then over my missing kid, until I brought up one point: the little girl was wearing my daughters dress.  I knew this because each kid had brought their own clothes for this routine, so nothing was matching or similar.  And further, my mother in law had purchased said dress from a boutique, so it was almost guaranteed that no one had the same dress as Lorelei had brought.


The volunteers asked the little girl if she was doing the father/daughter dance; she answered "no".  They asked why she had the dress on; she answered "it was sparkly".


Turns out four-year-old's are no different then large mouth bass; they see something sparkly, they just go for it.


The rush was on to find my child, get her put into her dress and rush her to the stage before the number started (seeing as we were the first pair in the line to enter stage left).  Fortunately we made it, just in time: me, the dress and the correct kid.





No comments:

Post a Comment