Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Two heads are great. ... four arms and legs can get a little messy though

Now that we have Gina home I'm starting to see a downside of her having been gone that I did not expect. As Gina pointed out last night, and I took offense to the fact that it was a pretty accurate description of me, I'm a bit of a creature of habit. Not crazy, washing my hands 70 times an hour and locking all the doors in the house 17 times before bed, but certain things I like to keep consistent. I'm up every morning at 5:30. I go to bed every night by 10:30. I go to the gym at 11:00am on weekdays and 8:00am on weekends. I get a morning coffee only if I arrive in front of the Starbucks by my work between 6:30am and 6:35am. ... ok that last one is a little crazy, I'll admit. But I like keeping those things consistent. With Gina gone, that consistency was implemented in to my routine with the girls. 5:00 is dinner, 6:00 bath, 7:00 is bed. Most other things I was flexible on, I wasn't in there at 7:30 in the morning banging pots and pans to make sure they were up or anything like that, but I stuck to this schedule when it came to a bed time routine. I liked it, it seemed to work well for the girls, and I got used to the pattern. Gina doesn't like patterns. She's more of a "where the wind may take us" type of a person than me. I love that about her because my mom's that type of person too. I think it's a great influence on the people around them and usually (I could tell you stories of the exceptions) it works out better when you take that kind approach to some things in life. But, again, with Gina gone I became very comfortable with my routine. Now that she's home, she's not a fan. We were a great two headed monster for the first 10 months. We functioned as one unit, contributing ideas, taking the best and then executing precision team work. Well, the last several weeks, being on my own, I sprouted arms and legs so I could operate while she was gone. ... when she came back, though, it proved to be far to many appendages getting tangled up in every process. Now, suddenly, we weren't a two headed monster anymore; we were Siamese twins. Not one unit, but two stuck together and trying to go in separate directions. I want to keep things on a schedule, Gina wants me to go with the flow, I don't know why she has to do "this" and she can't stand that I have to do "that". Never expected this. Now that festival season is over and we can go back to having both of us around full time, this is going to be our new challenge. To re-merge into the perfect two headed monster we were before. As we discussed last night during our "truce" meeting, it's going to require each of us to sacrifice a limb or two, but here are the positives: a) with only one arm it's much harder to wring your spouses neck, and b) (here's the best part) it only takes one arm to hold up a glass of wine. So keep a look out for the two headed monster learning how to walk again, with a glass of wine in each hand and twin girls in tow. But don't tell the cops. I can't have a DTHMWI (Driving a Two Headed Monster While Intoxicated) on my record.

No comments:

Post a Comment