Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Welcome back Rob!

We had another eventful day yesterday to close out our second straight weekend of Mama working festivals. My good friend, actually the best man at our wedding - nothing against the other men their, it was just a title - Rob just moved back from Buffalo, NY by way of Portland, OR and his official welcome home party was yesterday. We had actually seen him twice since hes been back but both the times the girls just kind of stared at him in curiosity at another man the same height as Daddy, which they rarely see. The last time they had seen him(more accurately the last time he saw them, as I'm not sure their eyes were really working all that well yet) they were just a couple of blobs in pink onsies. It was quiet a shock for Rob and his family to suddenly see the girls waddling around, destroying everything they could touch and laughing at everything they discovered. Their house wasn't even close to baby proof, as it hadn't seen a baby in well over 20+ years. The girls had a good time pointing this out as they tested the front screen door that didn't latch, banged on the glass coffee table and threw magazines all over the floor. But I don't think anyone has ever enjoyed seeing their home destroyed more than they did. The best part is our other friends with kids came so we had lots of people to play with. We had so much fun that nap time just kind of snuck up on us, so (with no options there) I loaded them in the car with the plan on getting them the few miles to our house so they could nap and then come back for dinner. Well, as I pulled into our complex I look in the rear view mirror to see two passed out babies in the back seat. So I circled back to Rob's, parked in the drive right next to the front door, cranked the AC and let them sleep for 45 minutes. I kept getting concerned comments from other people: "is that smart to leave them like that?", "what would Gina say?", "isn't it going to get hot?" Seriously?! I'm 10 feet away from them. Do they think they are going to unbuckle themselves, jump in the front seat and drive down to Mexico? Plus, Gina's the one who first started doing this at her Yiayia's house. You can't wake them up and bring them inside and then expect them to go to sleep again. And the AC's on full blast, that's why the car's running, so no, it's not going to get hot. In fact, I might be more comfortable in there with them because there's no even an AC in the house! After that we came in and had dinner - which everyone made a big deal about me feeding the girls rice, beans and carne asada. 1) like I don't know what I'm doing by this point? 2) why couldn't they have these things? 3) they've been eating this stuff for months now, if it was problematic we'd know by now. I think this is why people have kids with such boring taste pallets. They don't give them anything but bland, boring food for much of their early life that of course they're not going to like anything resembling flavor later in life. Aside from the questions about my parenting choices (which I think were genuine and not meant to be insulting or contrite because I was a solo parent with two infants, which is anomaly for some people) we had a really good time. After the party we went home and had our bath, got on jammies and crashed by 7. Then, for some strange reason, Genevieve started having a fit around 10 o'clock. Gina was still not home yet and, I gotta tell you, it was quite a struggle for me to stick to our plan of letting her cry and go back to sleep on her own when I was alone in the house. When Gina is at home I don't have such a problem with it. I think because in the "Good Cop/Bad Cop" routine I'm the "Bad Kopp" so I have to be the tough one, but when the good one isn't around suddenly I get all maternal and mushy. I ended up just lying face down on the cool kitchen floor to stop from sweating, and listened to her until Gina called and announced she was on her way home. I warned her of what she was coming toward, but, of course, once she walked in the door there wasn't a peep all night. Except for a phone which "someone" forgot to put back in to its recharge doc that started shrieking an hour or so later. A mad dash to locate the source and silence it before it woke anyone else up proved to be the lone excitement of the evening. Like nothing else exciting happened all weekend. Yeah. ... right.

No comments:

Post a Comment